Trap is a rather balanced genre when it comes to the amount of releases. Trap originated from Hip Hop in the 1990s in the Southern US. The first ever released Trap track on Monstercat was Arion's song The BASSEX released on September 20th, 2011.
Commonly Referenced Subgenres: Edit
- Carnival: described as 4-on-the-floor Trap, and is sometimes accompanied by a Triplet backing. Carnival usually never stands alone in a song, it is typically accompanied by Hybrid Trap or Brostep.
- Chill Trap: More chillout styled trap music.
- Cloud Rap: is a microgenre of hip hop music. It is typically characterized by its "hazy", lo-fi production.
- Experimental Trap:
- Festival Trap:
- Future Trap: A fusion between Future Bass and Trap.
- Hard Trap: which was originated by people like HEKLER, TYNAN, G-REX, Gladez, Krischvn, NXSTY, and others. It is reminiscent of dubstep and can be identified by equally aggressive basses with a more trap-like sound, which are commonly almost at lead synth frequencies.
- Heaven Trap:
- Hip Hop: developed as part of hip hop culture, a subculture defined by four key stylistic elements: MCing/rapping, DJing/scratching with turntables, break dancing, and graffiti writing. It includes sampling beats or bass lines from records (or synthesized beats and sounds), and rhythmic beatboxing.
- Industrial Hip Hop: is a fusion genre of industrial music and hip hop.
- Hybrid Trap:
- Jungle Terror: characterized by fast tempos (150 to 200 bpm), breakbeats, heavily syncopated percussive loops, samples, and synthesized effects.
- Neuro Trap:
- Rap: a musical form of vocal delivery that incorporates "rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular", which is performed or chanted in a variety of ways, usually over a backing beat or musical accompaniment. The components of rap include "content" (what is being said), "flow" (rhythm, rhyme), and "delivery" (cadence, tone).
- Claptrap is known for originally being released as Dubstep, but then changed to Trap when the genre color came in to place on October 6th 2014.
- Trap was previously marked as a silver color (Electronic genre color) but was then changed to dark red ever since Aero Chord's song Boundless was released.
- Trap looks to be a sister genre to Future Bass, listening to the drops and trap drops both these genres are being used. However, Future Bass is a more happy trap genre using happier synths and leads.
- Noisestorm has made 2 trap songs, Heist & Antihero, which surprisingly gained a lot of views and likings from the community because of how Noisestorm now makes Trap. Heist, however, sounds a little more Drumstep in the first drop rather than a Trap drop, but some trap songs have this type of drop in it, so it can be considered Trap.
- Trap is one of the most popular EDM genres as of October 2017, and is growing even more in the future.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.