Trap is a rather balanced genre when it comes to the amount of releases. It often features syncopated beats. Trap originated from Hip Hop in the 1990s in the Southern US. The first ever released Trap track on Monstercat was Arion's song The BASSEX released on September 20, 2011.
The color associated with the genre before genre colors were phased out was: Maroon (Hex: #8C0F27) (RGB: 140, 15, 39)
Commonly Referenced Subgenres:
- Arabian Trap: Trap influenced by Middle Eastern melodies and instruments
- Carnival (Trap): described as 4-on-the-floor Trap, and is sometimes accompanied by a Triplet backing. Carnival usually never stands alone in a song, it is typically accompanied by Hybrid Trap or Brostep.
- Chill Trap: More Chillout styled trap music.
- Experimental Trap: Trap music that takes a lot of inspiration from classic Wonky and experimental Hip-Hop music, having vibrant basses making up complex melodic sections in the songs, filtered and distorted sub-bass and 808 frequencies, and more wild percussive elements are all used to create a more experimental feel. Notable artists include DROELOE and Loosid.
- Festival Trap:
- Future Trap: A fusion between Future Bass and Trap.
- Hard Trap: Trap using Hardcore/Hardstyle screeches as the main synth for the drop. This style was created by SAYMYNAME.
- Heaven Trap: A more melodic type of Trap.
- Hybrid Trap: which was originated by people like HEKLER, TYNAN, G-REX, Gladez, Krischvn, NXSTY, and others. It is reminiscent of dubstep and can be identified by equally aggressive basses with a more trap-like sound, which are commonly almost at lead synth frequencies.
- Neuro Trap:
- Oriental Trap: Trap using eastern Asian instruments, such as the Pipa & certain types of bells.
- Claptrap is known for originally being released as Dubstep but then changed to Trap when the genre color came in to place on October 6, 2014.
- Trap was previously marked as a silver color (Electronic genre color) but was then changed to maroon ever since Aero Chord's song Boundless was released.
- Trap looks to be a sister genre to Future Bass, listening to the drops and trap drops both these genres are being used. However, Future Bass is a more happy trap genre using happier synths and leads.
- Trap is one of the most popular EDM genres as of October 2017 and is growing even more in the future.