Hardstyle is a genre of Electronic music which typically consists of a bass-driven heavy kick drum, intense faded or reversed basslines accompanying the beat, a dissonant synth melody, and detuned and distorted sounds.
Commonly Referenced Subgenres
- Dubstyle: Tends to have reversed wobble basslines and take the kick styling of hardstyle tracks, while combining them with the rhythm, groove, and dubstep tempo, usually a 2-step or a break-step rhythm.
- Euphoric Hardstyle: Characterized by highly emotional melodies, nostalgic and heartfelt vocals, and heavy pitch-shifting within its kicks. Euphoric Hardstyle is examined the most "commercial-friendly" subgenre of Hardstyle.
- Hardstyle: Consists of an overdriven and hard-sounding kick drum with a lot of sustain, with intense faded or reversed basslines accompanying the beat. Hardstyle also utilizes harsh and distorted synths, detuned and distorted sounds accompanying the main kicks and melodies.
- Nu-Style: The name for the type of Hardstyle made between 2005-2010. Often times mislabeled as "Jumpstyle" due to the dance style known by the name and being performed to Nu-Style incredibly often.
- Psystyle: A combination of Hardstyle and Psytrance, designated by its hybridized usage of Psytrance triplets with a Hardstyle kick drum. Artists such as Sub Zero Project are known for starting the movement of Psystyle.
- Rawphoric (Euphoric Rawstyle): A combination of harsher kicks from Rawstyle combined with melodies and climaxes seen in Euphoric Hardstyle.
- Rawstyle: A type of Hardstyle inspired by hardcore or older hardstyle resulting in darker melodies, screeches, and deeper-sounding kick drums. Distortion is oftentimes used to give songs a dark and abrasive vibe.
- Reverse Bass: A form of Hardstyle production that reverses the sound design of a typical Hardstyle kick and bassline, but uses the same structuring as regular Hardstyle. Often used in Mid-Intros within Hardstyle songs as a precursor to the more melodic climax later in the song.
- X-TRA RAW: Massive gated kicks and deadly screeches create an even more abrasive version of Rawstyle. Dark and often times vulgar samples are used to create dark and evil atmospheres.
|[ v • t • e ] Alphabetical List of Hard Dance Songs (Genre)|