Electro is a common genre on Monstercat. The first electro release was Cold Blood and Ice Cream Cones by Arion appearing on Monstercat 001 - Launch Week. Electro (short for Electro House) is a subgenre of house. It is typified by its heavy bass. This is often in the form of buzzing basslines, such as those created with sawtooth waves and distortion. It is also often in the form of large bass drum sounds in a four-on-the-floor pattern.
The associated color for this genre on Monstercat is yellow. This genre can vary a lot, since there are many different styles of electro. It is important to note for labeling purposes, the following subgenres can be assumed to be under the 'umbrella' of electro.
The color associated with the genre before genre colors were phased out was: Yellow (Hex: #E6CE00) (RGB: 230, 206, 0)
Common Subgenres:[edit | edit source]
- Aggrotech: A derivative form of dark-electro with a strong influence from hardcore-techno (straight techno bassdrum and oscillator sounds, especially Supersaw leads from Roland JP-8000) that first surfaced in the mid-late-1990s. Aggrotech typically employs aggressive beats, prominent lead synth lines, and lyrics of a dark nature. Often, vocals are distorted and pitch-shifted to sound harsh and synthetic; static and glitching effects are also added.
- Chiptune: introduces 8-bit sound and programmable sound generator sound chips used in vintage computers, consoles, and arcade machines. Often combined with other genres.
- Complextro: Places emphasis on intricate synthwork & basslines, with Drumstep and Glitch Hop influences.
- Dutch House: primarily defined by complex rhythms made from Latin-influenced drum kits, a lower emphasis on basslines and squeaky, high-pitched lead synths. Influences on the subgenre include Detroit techno, hip hop and other urban styles of music.
- Big Room House / Big Room: Originally started with a load of support, this House subgenre is a be a fuse of Techno, Electro, and Progressive House sounds. It features heavy emphasis on bass and is meant for clubs. The support it has garnered has fallen off over the years, with very few producers still producing it. Big Room Trance (see the Trance page for more information) has gained support over the years, as it is Big Room-influenced, but relies heavily on Trance-influenced melodies, which allow the production to sound fuller.
- Electro Swing: Most songs that fall under this introduce Jazz Theory concepts to create a fluent jazzy mood.
- Melbourne Bounce: Usually described by a 4/4 beat pattern & deep Melbourne Minimal bass hits between each kick inducing a repeated fall & rise effect. May feature high-pitched, pitch-bent electro synths or horns.
- Midtempo Electro: Is electro house with a slower tempo. Usally between 100 and 120 BPM.
- Jungle Terror: has the same characteristics as Big Room House but with snare/military drums performing tribal/murda rhythms and less bass to focus on the characteristic elements to the build-up for the drop. Wiwekis the most well-known artist of this genre for creating the first songs with this characterization back in 2012. In mid-2014, it gained popularity on websites like SoundCloud, turning it into something more elaborate and stable.