Drum & Bass (also written as Drum 'n' Bass or Drum and Bass and commonly abbreviated to D&B, DnB or D'n'B) is a subgenre of Electronic music. This subgenre features bass, sub-bass, and drums. It started in the 1990s in the UK and was influenced by Dub and Reggae. It is one of the most largely influential types of music in modern music production. Drum and Bass has multiple different subgenres such as liquid drum and bass which focuses more on chords and melodies. Rameses B and Flite are examples of liquid producers. Neurofunk is a heavier drum and bass subgenre featuring jazz and funk influences. Droptek and Protostar are examples of this genre.
The color associated with this genre for Monstercat releases is a bright red.
Commonly Referenced Subgenres: Edit
- Ambient Drum & Bass: is a smoother style, influenced by ambient music, chillout, jazz and Soul music.
- Dancefloor Drum and Bass:
- Jump-up: employs heavy and energetic drum and bass, characterized by robotic and heavy bass sounds. It also is generally less serious and contains more humor than other subgenres.
- Liquid Drum & Bass: draws heavily on harmonic and melodic grooves, and samples from funk, jazz, soul, R&B, disco, house and breakbeat (breaks).
- Minimal Drum & Bass:
- Neurofunk: is the progression from techstep incorporating more elements from jazz and funk.
- Techstep: is characterized by sci-fi soundscapes and samples from science fiction culture.
- Two-Step Drum & Bass:
- UK Grind: